Thursday, July 19, 2012

Corpus Christi vacation day 1

I would like to introduce you to Basil (my mini cooper). We decided to take him since it is July, and the trip to Corpus is over 9 hours. We could do it on Bella, but we are older and wiser.

Doesn't Bella look sad? She is getting left at home, but at least she gets the garage!

 We pull out of Duncan at 7:55. That is very early for us. Our first stop is Decateur, for Starbucks and a driver change. One thing about being in Basil, I can help drive. It's a good thing we changed drivers, because the traffic leaving Decateur is CRAZY! If I had been driving, Keith would have had a heart attack Next stop...you'll never guess, the Fort Worth Harley shop. We had never been there, so we had to buy a t-shirt, a yellow one we can share. As we were leaving, I got out the Ride Texas BBQ issue we picked up on our way out this morning. Now we are off to Waco for lunch. There was a picture of a place called Mamma & Pappa B's BBQ in the magazine. It looked like a real dive, but I thought that if it is listed in the magazine, it can't be bad.


 We walked into a very small cafe, it looked like it might have been a gas station a long time ago. There were 2 tables with 4 chairs each to sit at, not a place big enough for the FNDR.  I got the ribs and Keith got the beef. There was a man sitting at a table by himself, so we asked if we could sit with him.  We had a wonderful meal and got to meet a really neat man. He does something with job fairs, finding personnel for all kinds of jobs, right now there are a lot of oilfield workers needed.  Our next stop was in Cameron, Texas, for a quick pit stop and window wash.

 We looked and looked, but there were no Boston Baked Beans at the convenience store. Keith loves to eat those when we travel, but we settled for m&m 's. As we were traveling through Fayette we saw a most interesting store, Fayette Power Sports. What would you think they would sell???  I thought motorcycles and 4 wheelers.  We saw small to medium sized tractors and farm four wheelers (only in Texas). A little farther down the road, we came upon someone stopped at a historical marker, who was actually reading it! 


I was driving again as we neared LaGrange, it was the hilliest part of the entire trip.
 I was reminded of the time when we lived in England and went on a vacation. I had my license, so dad let me drive.  I had no idea there could be hills that steep and curvy.  I only had 1 gear left to go to when we reached the top, and then I had to drive down the other side.








We switched drivers again and also decided on another road.
There was a...(you guessed it) Harley shop in Victoria, so we had to stop. It was one of the old ones, off the beaten path in an odd location at a triangular corner. We did not buy a t-shirt, because I could not find a front and back that I liked on one shirt.
















We changed roads again, deciding to drive along the coast through Aransas Pass. We saw a bunch of deer eating in the pastures and then a crop duster.   Finally, about 7:30 we pulled into our hotel. When we walked into the hotel lobby it was wonderfully cold, in fact a bit chilly. We got to our room and they were expecting us, the room was like an ice box. We were sort of tired of being in the car, so we decided to see what was close by that we could walk to. Just behind our hotel was a seafood restaurant. I checked it out on Yelp right quick.  It had good reviews, so we went to check it out. The fresh fish specials were ruby red trout and blackened grouper. I talked Keith into getting out of the box and having the grouper. He really like it, said it tasted like chicken ( not really). He did like it. It tasted like mild catfish. I had the trout, which was wonderful. 
After dinner, we went for a walk along the seawall. I love the sea breeze and the smells and sounds of the ocean. I think I could live there.

No comments: